7/19/17

Jap Ji, 34-37 (raatee rutee thitee vaar)

There was a redwood tree that was 2,000 years old and had grown to 300 feet tall. It was once basking in the summer sunshine when a man in a hot-air balloon asked it how it was feeling that day.

"Hmm," the tree replied, "Which part of me do you want to know about?"

The man said, "All of you of course!"

The tree paused for a moment, "Well, that's a tough one.  You see, the top of me, who you are now addressing is doing just great. Up here there is abundant sunshine.  I don't have to worry about anything. Me and the other trees live playfully and peacefully.  We love each other.  Going towards the middle of me, there is right now a young man who is camping in my branches!  Yes, you can't see him from here, but he is there.  He has been there for 6 months now; he hugs me a lot, which I enjoy.  But he also cooks his food with an open fire!  So needless to say, my middle part is quite anxious about the fire.  Now my bottom part - don't laugh, I do have a bottom, are my roots of course. They are in constant war with other tree's roots for the sparse water there and I dare say they would be incensed if they found out how carefree I am - their life is of constant strife and conflict.  So like I said, it would be difficult to tell how the whole of me is feeling today."

The man thanked him and flew away shaking his head and saying, "What a weirdo!"  

Little did he know that he too had multiple parts of him existing simultaneously.  He, unlike the tree, didn't even know he had other parts - let alone know how they felt.

Seeker: I too have several parts of me existing simultaneously?
Teacher: Yes you do.

Seeker: Please explain.
Teacher: Well first there is your body, which is an amazingly advanced machine which runs very efficiently - you can read any anatomy book to realize how intricate it is and how many things it has to do to keep running smoothly.  Its' awareness level is immediate only.  If it is fed, it is happy and relaxed.  When it feels hungry, it urges you to give it energy urgently; if you don't, it starts eating parts of itself which it deems to be non-critical.  But as soon as you feed it, it becomes perfectly satisfied - it does not worry about the next meal.  It will die one day, but it does not fear or think about death at all.  The bodies of people who do yoga or other exercises run even more efficiently.

Seeker: What other part do I have?
Teacher: Well, then there is the mind.  The mind too needs feeding in the form of attention.  If you don't give it attention (by meditating or reading or discussion or learning or music or something) it becomes very unsatisfied and throws tantrums.  It is very worried about it's death - it will constantly show itself and remind you and others around that it is very much alive and needed.  Ironically, it never dies.

Seeker: Is this my roots then?
Teacher: Yes, the body and the mind can be said to be your roots.  They always look for energy and sometimes have to get that energy via conflicts and strife.

Seeker: And my soul?
Teacher: Yes, your soul can be said to be the top of the tree - it watches you and the world unattached - it knows about God and knows that God is the real doer, so is not worried whatsoever.

Seeker: That's it then?
Teacher: Not quite, you are also the formless One!  Yes, you are all these things living simultaneously.  For example, you and your wife live together and if you both are rooted in your body/mind you will create much conflicts and strife.  But if you are more rooted in your soul, you will realize you are companions with abundance of resources, so will naturally live in more harmony.

Seeker: How can I and my wife feel the formless One within us?
Teacher: Ha! You already actually do, my friend, you just don't realize it.  When you are in perfect harmony with your wife; you can feel the formless One within both of you when you meditate or sing together - it greatly helps if you both meditate regularly.  Or when you make selfless love.  The formless One is not far from us - in fact the formless One IS us!

The formless One rejoices watching over all creation.
----- Guru Nanak, Jap Ji, 37th pauri


No comments: