4/20/08

Essence 5 - Sat Kartar Singh

I was lying in my bed early next morning when I heard a man singing,

O one with splendid eyes, awake and chant the Guru’s Word
and listen to the un-struck Word of the One.

Rare are the ones who through the Guru’s Word
understand this state of utter stillness

Merging in the Guru’s Word,
their false self is eradicated (sggs 843 - Guru Nanak)

This song struck an arrow into my heart. I felt truth in these words. I knew the creator of this song knew about my state. It seemed that the singer was singing directly to me.

I jumped out my bed and barefoot, ran to the man singing this song. The man was a middle-aged man. He looked like a farmer. I ran up to him. He stopped singing and looked at me. The first thing I did was look deeply into his eyes.

Yes! He was awake!

I hugged him and he hugged me back. His hug broke the depression within me and I started sobbing. Without a word, he tightly held me. He let me cry without any attempts at consolation.

Finally, my tears dried up and I looked into his eyes again. It would be wrong to say they were beautiful. They seemed so unnatural. I had never seen such eyes. They appeared not to blink.

I asked, “Am I dreaming?”

He replied, “Yes.”

With my breath held short, I again asked, “Is there a way to wake up?”

“Yes.”

“Please show me the way.”

An indescribable light I had never seen before flooded his eyes. He sang,

Chant, O my mind, the True Name, Sat Naam, the True Name.

In this world, and in the world beyond, your face shall be radiant,
by meditating continually on the immaculate One being (sggs 669 - Guru Raam Das)


After a short silence, I humbly asked about him. His name was Sat Kartar Singh. He was a Sikh of Guru Nanak.

I briefly told him about my state of affairs. And I quite bluntly asked him how I could become like him.

He humbly shook his head, “No, not like me; but like your true self.”

I invited him to my house, but he said he was on his way to a singing session. He smiled at my sad face and invited me to his house in a week’s time. He said there would be singing by many lovers of the Guru’s Word there.

I thanked him and went home and took a long nap. My wife and children thankfully hugged me and my life started again.

...next part

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice sakhi, is this a personal experience?

Gurfateh

Seeker of One said...

waheguru... All my writings are semi-fictional. Although the spiritual experiences described in them are real - they were either experienced by myself or by naami souls who I have had the blessings to be associated with.

waheguru waheguru....

Anonymous said...

By the way Seeker of one, i have been itching to ask you this question, when you do naam simran do you feel coolness over the back, and in your mind you feel a pulling sensation like a wormhloe?

Gurfateh

Seeker of One said...

waheguru... Yes, I have felt that sensation a few times, although it's probably very different from yours - since our journey "back" to WaheGuru is completely unique.

take care,
waheguru waheguru....