7/18/17

Jap Ji, 27 (so dar kayhaa so ghar kayhaa)

Taan Sain was the best musician in Emperor Akbar's court. Each evening he would sing for the Emperor. The Emperor was a lover of the arts and would greatly appreciate the musician. He would shower many gifts and praises onto the musician.

One evening, after a particularly beautiful performance by the musician, the Emperor called Taan Sain to his palace and said, "Today you overwhelmed me. While I was listening to your song, a thought occurred to me that you are the best musician on this Earth. But as soon as that thought had trespassed my mind, I thought about the teacher who taught you - that teacher must be great too. That's the reason I asked for you. Pray tell me, how can we arrange for your teacher to come to this court to perform for the kingdom."

Taan Sain smiled and said, "Sire, my teacher is full of wonders. But I know him enough to tell you that he will not come to this court."

"Of course we will pay quite handsomely..."

"With due respect, Sire, no amount of money will bring my teacher to your court."

This greatly intrigued the Emperor, "Surely there is a way that I could listen to your teacher sing. If he will not come here, perhaps we can go to him."

Taan Sain again smiled, "Sire, my teacher is carefree and he might not like us going to him."

"But surely my good man, there must be a way."

Taan Sain thought a while and said, "Well, there is one way. My teacher usually sings in the early mornings by the Ganga River. If your majesty insists, then we must be discreet and hide nearby and listen to him at that time."

The Emperor was a spiritual man and he did wake up at early hours of the morning anyway, so he arranged for them to be taken to a place where Taan Sain's teacher bathed and sang. Both the Emperor and Taan Sain reached the river bank at midnight and hid in nearby bushes. Shortly afterwards, as was the daily routine of Taan Sain's teacher, he came to the river, bathed and sat on the river bank and sang.

His song was so great that it completely mesmerized the Emperor. The Emperor could not speak or move, and just sat like a stone idol for entire time the teacher sang. Even after the teacher had left, the Emperor had to be nudged by Taan Sain. The Emperor half-dreamily walked back to the carriage which had brought them there and remained in this state for the whole ride back and indeed, the whole day.

That evening the Emperor summoned Taan Sain to his palace and said, "Taan Sain, your teacher is wonder itself. I am very, very curious at one thing. I love your singing but if you wouldn't mind, I would request you answer one question."

"Sire, please ask this servant any question."

"With much due respect, I used to think that you were the best musician on this Earth, but your teacher far, far surpasses you. Indeed your song is like a rose in a vase, but your teacher's song is like ... fresh and fragrant roses dancing in the wind."

The Emperor continued, "I do not wish to offend you in any way, but please tell me how is it possible that your teacher's talent is eons deeper than yours?"

Taan Sain laughed and said, "With due respect Sire, I perform for you; my teacher performs for the One Being that pervades all."

The sound-current of the naad vibrates where the One resides.
----- Guru Nanak, Jap Ji 27th pauri



No comments: