7/12/17

Jap Ji, 8-11 (suni-ai siDh peer sur naath)

There was once a very successful farmer.  One day, after he had just worked in his barn, he discovered his precious pocket-watch to be missing.  The watch had been in his family for generations and it had been given to him just a few years ago by his dying father.  He could not bear to be without it, so he hurried into the barn and with increasing anxiety searched for it.  The barn was a gigantic one and he had spent the entire afternoon walking the breath and width of it, so the watch could have fallen off anywhere.

After a few hours of hectic searching, he asked his sons and daughters to help him.  But to his dismay, noone could find it - the Sun had set by now and it was useless to search now.  He sadly gave up the search and walked outside feeling guilty and stupid.  The whole family had gathered outside and everyone was giving advice about how to quickly find it.

There was a yogi who was walking by who heard the commotion and asked what it was all about.  The farmer readily told him and asked if he could help using his occult powers. The yogi smiled and said, "I don't have any occult powers, but I will try to help you out."

The yogi then entered the barn and around midnight re-emerged with the watch and was met with a visibly moved and grateful farmer with tears of joy in his eyes.  The farmer hugged him over and over again.

Finally after the euphoria has somewhat subsided, the farmer asked him, "Sir, I am deeply grateful for your help, but ... but, if you don't mind me asking, I am a little curious about why, despite your occult powers, it took so long to find the watch?"

The yogi laughed heartily, "O my dear man, I will tell how I found the watch and you will see why it took me so long.  First when I entered the barn, I went to the center and just sat down.  I heard a thousand different sounds - of different animals, birds and you people outside. I focused on the sounds of the animals; first the horses and I told my mind to start un-listening to the horses.  Then I focused on the pig's oinks and told my mind to un-listen to those sounds too.  After a few hours, I had commanded my mind to un-listen to every sound in the barn, even the tiny mice running around beneath the ground. Then and only then did I hear your watch ticking away at the entrance of the barn.  That's why, my good friend, it took me so long!" 

The devotee who learns the art of listening to the Guru's words, remains always in bliss, shedding away the pain of duality.
----- Guru Nanak, Jap Ji, 8th through 11th pauri



No comments: