4/20/08

Essence 1 - Queen

Startled, I woke up. I was sweating and breathing heavily. Then I remembered where I was. With relief I said out aloud, “It was just a dream.” Immediately my maid came and asked me if I needed something. Quite alarmed at the sweat on my face she asked, “What is wrong, my queen?”

I lazily waved her away, murmuring “Just a bad dream.” I calmed myself. The dream had been so real!

I silently tiptoed into my little prince’s chamber. He was sleeping quite peacefully. Reassured, I returned to my bed and silently prayed for my king’s well-being. He was a gentle man and had brought peace to the land after decades of bloodshed. But a few weeks ago, a rebellion had broken out in the southern province and he had gone there for negotiations.

I was about to go back to sleep when the door opened and the chief minister, along with a few soldiers entered my chamber. A cold chill went up my back. He said, “My dear woman, I am afraid, there has been a little change. The king is dead and has been dead for a week now.”

I screamed out, “You are lying!” I ran to the window and shouted to the sentry. “Come here at once!” The sentry looked at me and shifted uncomfortably on his feet but did not move. The minister laughed softly, “Please understand your position now. You no longer can command.” He softly spoke again, “Guards, behead the prince now.”

My body shook with fear. “NO!” I screamed, “Please no!” The guards started going to the prince’s chamber. I ran up to them and tried to hold them back. One of them roughly pushed me away. I fell down and with a loud thud; the back of my head hit the stone wall...

…next part

No comments: