4/16/08

Village 1 - Graveyard

Something about the village graveyard set it apart. Usually graveyards are somber and resigned under the weight of death. But this one was different: besides been well kept - which in itself was not unusual – the design appeared to be more like a garden of life than a cradle of death. Its' shady trees, sunny flowers and general cheerfulness seductively invited me in.

During my travels, I had seen hundreds of graveyards and they were my favorite resting places. I had left home when I had turned twenty. I hadn't been sure what I hoped to find when I set out but, I had yet to find it. I had traveled to majestic temples, sober ashrams, holy rivers, visited renowned Gurus and any other religious place I had been told about, yet my restless mind knew no lasting peace. After more than twelve years of searching, I had given up hope and had reluctantly decided to return home and begin a worldly life. I had begun the journey back to my home when I came upon this unusual graveyard.

The mid-morning sun lit the path before me. I gave in to my aching muscles and entered the graveyard through a small wooden door. I put down my knapsack and looked at some of the tombstones. The inscriptions always reminded me of my transitory place on earth. But this graveyard was full of surprises - even the grave markers were unlike any I had seen before.

There were three entries on each stone: name, year of death and quite intriguingly "years of life". Even more peculiarly, the "years of life" very seldom went above ten. Although it took me all morning, I visited each and every tombstone; and to my utter astonishment, I could not find any "years of life" over fifteen. And there were quite a few with "zero" years of life.

A curious person by nature, I decided to visit the village to try and make sense of this graveyard and walked about a mile to the village gate. The friendly villagers greeted me warmly. Almost all of the villager's manners resembled the innocent nature of children. Their smooth faces had a glow of purity. They came and not unlike children, touched and greeted me, offering me all sorts of refreshments and foods. Their attention and love quite overwhelmed me.

In their presence, I noticed a difference within myself. Everything around me took on a sharp distinctness I hadn't before perceived. Colors became deeper and brighter, yet somehow softer, and comforting. Everywhere I looked, whatever I saw seemed to be outlined with an etching of light. Shadowed hues had a depth that drew me, a kind of magnetism to them.

Outwardly I heard each sound of the village - the villager's greeting me, the children laughing, water pouring from the nearby well buckets - quite distinctly, yet all coordinated as in an orchestrated symphony. I spoke in exclamation uttering for the sake of hearing my own voice which sounded musical, both lilting and full of depth. Whatever entered my mind spilled from my tongue quite without any reason at all!

Someone handed me an apple. I bit into it. A tart sweetness met my lips. Flavor flooded my mouth. I closely examined the apple to make sure that I indeed held an apple for I seemed to be eating many fruits all at once. I breathed deeply trying to make sense of it. A scent of orange blossoms and gardenias perfumed my nostrils tantalizing me.

I hadn't a clue as to the source of my unusual experiences, but I couldn't help grinning widely and immensely enjoying myself.

I noticed a group of elders sitting around an old shady tree. I decided to ask them about this rather heavenly place. I approached the men - they greeted me warmly and at an appropriate time I asked: "Respected Sirs, I have seen many places and many people. But even at the most holiest of these places I could not find the life and love that pervades this place. Perhaps I am in a dream..." I trailed off.

They all smiled. I hurriedly continued, "I would very much like it if you would kindly explain this rather peculiar place. I was also very intrigued by the graveyard at the entrance of the village. Is it where you bury your young ones?"

After a short pause, the most elderly man spoke. "Traveler, you look like a man who would benefit much from the story I will tell you - listen carefully."

All the villagers within earshot came and sat attentively to hear the old man speak.

...next part

No comments: