4/16/08

Warrior 5 - Word

Without any sense of direction, I walked on. My eyes were barely open. My face was completely frozen - I was toying with the idea of simply giving up when suddenly I went into an opening and into warmth. I could not believe my fate - I had walked right into a cave!

Thankfully, I sat on the ground. My hands felt some kind of a frame on the ground. With joy, I realized it was actually a fireplace. There was even dry wood neatly stacked up. Quickly, I built a small fire by the entrance. It was quite obvious that someone had lived in this cave a long time ago. A wooden shelf ran along one wall. I saw a big bag on the shelf. I opened it up and there were nuts and dried fruits in it! How they had survived for so long, I do not know. Nor did I care - I quickly devoured some of them.

Quite warm and content, I lay down in a little area which apparently had served as a sleeping place. Immediately, my eyes fell upon two sentences written on the cave roof. The first sentence read,

"The five can be defeated by the Guru's Word".

This surprised me so much that with a jolt, I sat up. Vividly my memory went back to the "mad" man at the tavern: he too had mentioned something about a Guru.
A question arose within me, "What is the guru's Word?"

The second sentence answered me,

"WaheGuru WaheGuru WaheGuru Wahe jeeo".

I instantaneously fell in love with this Word. My mouth uttered it, "WaheGuru." My tongue savored it, "WaheGuru." My heart sang it, "WaheGuru." I could neither believe not understand this Word but I did not really care - it was such a bliss just uttering it that all I wanted to do was to sing it over and over.

Like a crazy man, I shouted the Word over and over again: "WaheGuru WaheGuru WaheGuru ...

I spent the whole night celebrating with the Word. I would sing the Word for a while and would then keep quiet. The falling snow, the whistling wind and the swaying trees would echo back the Word. It would get softer and softer. Then I would sing it loudly again, then listen again. This Word was indeed magic. Even though I had had nothing to eat except the few nuts, I felt strong and fulfilled.
By next morning, I had enough strength to fight a hundred men. I could have gone back and defeated the creatures but a strange thing happened - I no longer cared about my castle or my treasures or my brother – even the hidden city faded away from my desires. The only thing that mattered was the Word.

I followed the same pattern on that day too - I would say the Word a few times, and then listen to it. Slowly the saying got shorter and shorter while the listening got longer and longer.

After a few days, I no longer had to say the Word - I would listen to it ringing from everywhere. I would sleep whenever I felt tired. I would eat some of the fruit whenever I got hungry. There were just enough food and firewood for me to pass the winter.

...next part

No comments: